Saturday, May 13, 2006

Pros and cons of studying at the University of Padua

I thought about the reasons why I chose this university some years ago. I knew that it is one of the best universities in Mechanical Engineering and the Engineering course was born many years ago,and now it has a great background and it achieves a high relevance.
Studying in Padua has whether advantages or disadvantages. I try to do a list according to my experience during these five years in Padua.
Advantages:
- there are many courses (facoltà) but the most important are Engineering, Medicine, Law and Physical for their history and relevance in the academic society
- the professors (for Mechanical Engineering) are professional and very communicative because they are able to transfer their knowledge in a way that every student can understand.
- there are a lot of extra activities (e.g. sport and music)
- there are active student associations
- there are many libraries where you can find every kind of book
Disadvantages:
- quite expensive
- the transports aren't efficient
- some buildings are old and few classrooms aren't comfortable

2 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 11:56 AM, Blogger Frittomistico said...

I disagree with you when you say Padua is quite expensive. What are you based on? University fees are no more expensive than other italian universities. Cost of life is not too much expensive too. Trust me when I say bigger city are more more expensive than padua. e.g. in Milan for a double room in a flat you could expect to pay up to 300 eu, while in padua the average cost is less than 200eu. University refectories are't much expensive too, and with only a few euros it's possible to eat a lot!

 
At 5/19/2006 12:14 PM, Blogger Frittomistico said...

I don't think professors in padua are so communicative as you said! Okok I don't know the Mechanical Engineering ones, but probably (in my humble opinion) all italian engineering professors are similar! Moreover maybe you say this because you don't know how other univeristy's professors could be! e.g. in the lecture about US university system we attended last wednesday, it has been said as US professor are very informal and friendly with the students. Moreover Sarah said us professors usually intruduce himself by their firstname! A girl I know, who has been to Boston University, has said me the same thing too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home